New 2017 Winter Parking Rules Start December 1st
Beginning December 1st, 2017, overnight parking will be permitted in authorized on-street parking spaces Town-wide EXCEPT during declared parking bans. Parking bans will be in effect from 12:01 am to 7:00 am. During declared parking bans, all vehicles must be removed from public ways or risk ticketing and towing.
Here are some answers to frequently asked questions:
- When will a parking ban be declared?
- The Town monitors weather conditions. If there is a prediction for snow or ice that will require plowing and/or sanding, a parking ban will be declared. We will attempt to call the parking ban by 12:00 noon so residents have ample time to relocate their vehicles.
- How do I know if there is a snow emergency or a parking ban in effect for on-street parking?
- When blue lights on the traffic signals at key intersection in Amherst are flashing, a winter parking ban is in effect. There is no on-street parking from 12:01 a.m. – 7:00 a.m. Snow Emergencies remain in effect until canceled and may be enforced for more than one night.
- How can I find out if there is a Snow Emergency?
- The blue lights at key intersections will be flashing.
- An email or text alert will be sent to those who have signed up for Notify-Me alerts on the Town’s web site, www.amherstma.gov.
- It will be posted prominently on the Town’s web site www.AmherstMA.gov
- It will be on the Town’s Facebook page and Twitter feed.
- It will be broadcast on television, radio, and in newspaper websites.
- You can call the 24-hour information line at 413-259-3005.
- How long will the snow emergency be in effect?
- It all depends on the intensity, duration and time needed to cleanup from the storm. Once a Snow Emergency is declared, it will stay in effect until a public announcement that it is over.
- How will I know if a parking ban has been lifted?
- Snow Emergencies remain in effect until cancelled and are often enforced for more than one night. The same methods for declaring a snow emergency will be used when the ban is lifted. The blue lights will be turned off, the Town’s website, Facebook page and Twitter feed will be updated, the media will be notified, and Notify-Me alert will go out to all subscribers.
- What do the flashing blue lights at intersections mean?
- When the blue lights at key intersections are flashing, a snow emergency is in effect. That means no overnight on-street parking from 12:01 a.m. – 7:00 a.m.
- My street was plowed. Why is there still a parking ban?
- Snow emergencies and parking bans can remain in effect for several days. Department of Public Works crews no only plow snow but also sand/salt streets and perform snow removal operations. Snow clearing and removal may take place over several days and nights and the parking ban will remain in effect until the roads are clear and safe for on-street parking.
- Where can I park during a snow emergency?
- Overnight parking is allowed in
- a. The lower level of the parking garage,
- b. The town portion of the Pray Street Lot,
- c. In the town portion of the North Pleasant Street Lot.