Town Meeting-related Events
Important Town Meeting Related Dates – Mark Your Calendars!
Recent Events - # See video of events below
- 2013 Annual Town Meeting begins on Monday, May 6, 2013 at 7:00 pm in the Middle School Auditorium. Additional sessions, if needed, are reserved for May 8, 13, 15, 20, 22, 29, June 3, 10, 17, 19, 2013.
Important Town Meeting Related Dates – Mark Your Calendars!
- Attention Write-in candidates for Town Meeting - The deadline for getting your name on the ballot has passed, however you may still be elected by asking friends and neighbors in your precinct to write in your name when they vote on April 9. Precincts 2, 3, 5, and 6 are in need of write-in candidates.
- Select Board signs the Warrant – Monday, April 8
- Annual Town Election – Tuesday, April 9
- TMCC & LWV Warrant Review – Tuesday, April 23 at 7:00 pm in the Town Room at Town Hall. See flyer.
- TMCC Bus Tour – Sunday, April 28 from 2:00 to 4:00 pm – meet in Middle School Parking lot by 1:45pm. See flyer.
- New! TMCC Precinct Meetings – Members of Town Meeting and the public are welcome to attend any of the following meetings to discuss and share information about articles before the upcoming Town Meeting. Town Meeting members should bring their copies of the warrant and article information with them to the precinct meeting. Copies of the warrant will be available here soon. See flyer for more information.
- Thursday April 25 at 7:00 pm - Middle School Professional Development Center – across hall at north end of cafeteria (Precincts 2 & 9)
- Friday, April 26 at 7:00 pm - Police Station Community Room (Precincts 5 & 6)
- Monday April 29 at 7:00 pm - Immanuel Lutheran Church Connector Lounge, 867 North Pleasant Street (Precincts 1 & 3)
- Tuesday April 30 at 7:00 pm - Crocker Farm School Library (Precincts 7 & 8)
- Saturday May 4 2:00 pm - Police Station Community Room (Precincts 4 & 10)
- LWV Candidates Night – Wednesday, March 27 from 7:00 to 9:30 pm in the Middle School Auditorium
- March 11 is the Deadline for Candidate Statements for the LWV Election Guide to be published in the Amherst Bulletin the week before the Annual Town Election on April 9. Submit statements online athttp://www.lwvamherst.org/content/respond-town-election-questionnaires . Write-in candidates may also submit candidate statements.
- Citizen Miscellaneous petitions due - Monday, March 11 at noon (10 signatures for ATM, 100 for STM and 200 to call a Special Town Meeting) See “How to File a Petition Article” (PDF) on the TM info page at www.amherstma.gov/tminfo .
- Citizen Zoning petitions due - Wednesday, February 6, 2013 at noon – (10 signatures for ATM – 100 for STM and 200 to call STM)
- Do you want to run for Town Meeting? The deadline for getting your name on the ballot as a candidate for Town Meeting is Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 5:00pm. Sign up in the Town Clerk's office in Town Hall.
- Feb. 28 Community Preservation Act Committee Public Hearing on proposal recommendations. For more info see CPA page.
- # "Greening Amherst! Our Budget, Our Master Plan, Our Planet" -- educational forum by the Town Meeting Coordinating Committee was held on Tuesday, January 29, 2013. For more information and list of speakers, click here.
- Fall 2012 Special Town Meeting concluded on Wednesday, November 28, 2012.
- TMCC Bus Tour - Nov. 18, 2012 - Town Meeting members learned about various articles on the Warrant by visiting the sites related to them. See flyer. (PDF)
- Precinct Meetings - November 13-17, 2012 - Members of Town Meeting and the public attended Precinct Meetings to informally discuss and share information about articles before the upcoming Town Meeting. This is a good way to learn about the issues and to get to know your fellow Town Meeting representatives. You can attend any of the Precinct Meetings regardless of where you live in town. Town Meeting members should bring their copies of the warrant, also available by clicking here. For more information click here.
- # TMCC / LWV Warrant Review was held on Thursday, November 8, 2012. It is available online by visiting www.amherstmedia.org/meetings under the "Town Meeting (and related events)" drop down menu. This is a good opportunity to hear brief explanations of the articles to be decided at Town Meeting and responses to questions. See flyer. (PDF) See visuals displayed at the Warrant Review:
- May 8, 2012 at 4:30 pm - Deadline to submit nomination forms and 50-word candidate statements to the Town Clerk for the TMCC Election. See Town Clerk's Calendar for TMCC Election.
- May 14, 2012 Town Meeting Coordinating Committee Election - 7:00 to 9:00 pm in the back of the Middle School Auditorium during Town Meeting
- May 14, 2012 Special Town Meeting - 7:30 pm in the Middle School Auditorium -- one article
Past TMCC Events Available On Demand at AmherstMedia.org: (external links)
- April 24-29, 2012 Precinct Meetings
- Members of Town Meeting and the public are welcome to attend any of
the Precinct Meetings to discuss and share information about articles
before the upcoming Town Meeting. See additional info. (PDF)
- Orientation for New Town Meeting Members - 6:15 to 7:15 pm
(just before the first session of Town Meeting) in the Drama/Black Box
room in the north end of the middle school near the stairs to the
pool. Meet the Moderator, learn about procedures used at Amherst Town
Meeting, ask questions, receive LWV Town Meeting Handbook, etc.
- Our Town…Our Town Meeting - An informal discussion about Town Meeting - Tuesday, Jan. 31, at 7pm in Jones Library’s Amherst Room (2nd floor) Light refreshments will be served. See Flyer (PDF)
What is Town Meeting all about?
Are there issues in town that concern you?
How can you run for a Town Meeting seat?
Now is the perfect time for you to get involved! Because of
redistricting, all 240 Town Meeting seats are up for election this
- Petition articles for Annual Town Meeting require 10 signatures. See “How to File a Petition Article” (PDF) in the TM info page at www.amherstma.gov/tminfo .
- Attention All Current Town Meeting Members:
Due to the re-drawing of precinct boundary lines, all current town
meeting members, regardless of the date their term expires, will be
required to file nomination papers to have their name placed on the 2012
Annual Town Election ballot if they wish to remain in Town Meeting.
Twenty-four town meeting members will be elected in each precinct. Tuesday, February 14, 2012 at 5:00 p.m. was the last day and hour to file nomination papers at the Town Clerk's office for Town Meeting and Town-Wide office. It only takes one signature to file a nomination paper.
- TMCC Bus Tour - Sunday, October 30 from 2 to 4 pm - Town Meeting members learned about various articles on the Warrant by visiting the sites related to them. See Bus Tour Flyer for more information.
- Precinct Meetings - Members of Town Meeting and the public are welcome to attend any of the following Precinct Meetings to discuss and share information about articles before the upcoming Town Meeting. See Precinct Meetings Flyer for more information.
- Deadline for Public Comment on Sewer Extension Plan (Article 11) Monday, October 24, 2011 - Public comment can be addressed to and . *See below for more information. View October 11 Sewer Discussion online at Amherst Media. (external link)
- LWV/TMCC Warrant Review was held on Thursday, October 20, 2011l. See Warrant Review Flyer for more information. View this meeting online at Amherst Media (external link).
- Four Boards Meeting (Finance Committee, Library Trustees, School Committee and Select Board) for Finance Director's presentation on FY13 Financial Indicators and Projections. This is a good opportunity for Town Meeting members and the public to learn about and have input in to the budget. Thursday, October 13, 2011 at 7:00 pm in the Town Room of Town Hall. View this meeting online at Amherst Media (external link).
- Petition articles for Fall Special Town Meeting require 100 signatures. See “How to File a Petition Article” (PDF) in the TM info page at www.amherstma.gov/tminfo .
- *Learn about Article 11 Capital - Sewer Extension Project - a public presentation of the Sewer Extension Master Plan by Camp Dresser and Mckee Inc., the engineering firm that was hired to revise the sewer plan, was held on October 11, 2011. It will be rebroadcast on cable channel 17. See Public Works Wastewater page for a copy of this plan and more information. There is a public comment period until October 24 when the Select Board will decide to accept the plan, request revisions, or reject the plan. Public comment can be addressed to .
calendar will be updated as new information becomes available. It is
intended to give a general idea of when Budget & Zoning related
events occur to enable Town Meeting members and the public to be
informed about Budget and Zoning issues throughout the year.
TMCC Master Calendar of Budget and Zoning Meetings
The TMCC Master Calendar of Budget and Zoning Meetings page may take a few seconds to open due to its size.
Printable version of calendar (9/6/2011 version)
Cover Letter for this Calendar
- Chicken Coop Tour - Town Meeting members are invited to visit a typical backyard chicken coop on Sunday, April 10 from 2:00pm-3:00pm. Tour John Gerber's Chicken Coop at 123 Harlow Drive. For information and directions, see: http://www.justfoodnow.org/Coop.htm (external link)
* Note! Some of Amherst Media's programs are temporarily unavailable for online viewing.
Greening Amherst Forum: Oct. 29, 2013 Jan. 29, 2013 - TMCC educational forum. For more information and list of speakers, click here. See Flyer.
Amherst Town Meeting Moderator Farewell Longtime Amherst Town Meeting moderator Harrison Gregg announces that the November 28, 2012 Town Meeting would be his final meeting as Town Meeting moderator.
Town Meeting Warrant Review Nov. 8, 2012 - See flyer. (PDF)See visuals displayed at the Warrant Review:
TMCC Bus Tour: Spring 2012
Town Meeting Warrant Review April 10, 2012 - Below are some of the files used during the presentations.
Visioning the Future of North Amherst - A panel discussion consisting of North Amherst Residents Melissa Perot, Valerie Cooley, Patricia Holland and Janet Keller. Moderated by Molly Turner Nov 14, 2011 30:19
A Brief Overview of Form Zoning - A panel consisting of Rob Crowner, Laura Fitch, Jim Wald and Sarah la Cour giving an overview on form zoning. Nov 10, 2011 34:36
Town Meeting Warrant Review: Oct. 20, 2011
Town Meeting Warrant Review: April 14, 2011
* Town Meeting Warrant Review: Oct. 21, 2010
Electronic Voting Demonstration on May 17, 2010
2010 Annual Town Meeting Warrant Review - April 13, 2010
Spring 2010 Town Meeting Bus Tour - April 18, 2010
Forum on the Budget: "How Public Works Works: Purse Strings to Pot Holes" - April 27, 2010 - See Forum Flyer (PDF)
2009 Fall Special Town Meeting Warrant Review - Oct. 14, 2009
* TMCC Bus Tour for Town Meeting Members - Oct. 18, 2009
Forum on Smart Growth - October 27, 2009 - See Forum Flyer (PDF)
2009 Annual Town Meeting Warrant Review - April 21, 2009
Spring 2009 Town Meeting Bus Tour - April 19, 2009
Forum "How to Fund Human Services?" - April 14, 2009 - See Forum Flyer (PDF)
* Money: Where Does it Go? Where Should it Go? - October 28, 2008 - See Forum Flyer (PDF)
* Forum Joint Capital Planning & Community Preservation Act - April 9, 2008
Zoning Orientation - November 1, 2007
* Budget Orientation: Preparation and Structure - April 24, 2007
Page updated 5/17/2013