U.S. Department of State regulations, effective May 1, 2011, require that Passport Acceptance Agents have no overlapping duties between the Passport Acceptance Program and the birth document print and/or issuance functions of the Town Clerk's office.
In order to comply with these new regulations and continue our participation in the Passport Acceptance Program, one member of the Town Clerk's office has been designated as the Passport Acceptance Agent.
Unfortunately this means that when the Passport Acceptance Agent is not in the office, the Town of Amherst will be unable to process passport applications. You may wish to call ahead to verify that the passport agent is available on the day you are planning to apply. Our phone number is 413-259-3035.
The Town Clerk's office regrets this inconvenience to our customers.
We hope that you will come to the Amherst Town Clerk's office when you are ready to apply for your passport, but should this not be possible, please click here for a list of local Passport Acceptance facilities.
It is strongly recommended that you call the facility first to check on when a Passport Acceptance Agent will be available.
Applications are accepted
- Monday through Wednesday, 8:00 am to NOON and 2:00 - 3:45 pm
- Thursdays, 2:00 - 3:45 pm
- Fridays, 8:00 am to NOON and 2:00 - 3:45 pm
What is Required
To file a passport you will need to provide:
Additional Requirements for Children
Children 15 and under:
Children 16 and over:
- Child must be present
- Both parents must be present, or
Evidence of sole legal custody, or
Notarized written consent of the non-applying parent, or
Written statement explaining why non-applying parent's consent cannot be obtained
- Birth Certificate (even if passport is available, birth certificate is required to verify parents/guardians)
If no parent is available to sign, a third-party, in loco parentis, may:
- Child must be present
- Only one parent need be present
- Birth Certificate only needed in addition to passport if applicant's last name is different from applying parent
- Child is required to sign application also
- Appear with a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents authorizing the third-party to apply for the passport
- If statement or affidavit is from only one parent, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent