Board of Health
Under Massachusetts General Law (MGL), the Amherst Board of Health is responsible for the protection of the public's health and the protection of the environment from damage and pollution.
The Board of Health promotes public health by controlling disease and promoting sanitary living conditions for the Town of Amherst. The Board of Health oversees health regulations for the Town of Amherst including:
- Creating new regulations
- Review existing regulations
- Reviewing and determining on variance requests for existing regulations
To View Board of Health Documents:
Board of Health Regulations
Artificial Turf in Playing Fields in Amherst Motion
Racism and Public Health
Statement on Racism and Public Health
Data and Sources for Statement on Racism and Public Health
LGBTQ+ Equity Statement LGBTQ+ Equity Statement
The Board of Health is comprised of 5 appointed members each serving a 3 year term. The agents of the Board of Health are the Health Inspectors who are located in the Inspection Services Department and responsible for enforcement of Board of Health and State regulations and inspections.
Current Board of Health Members
|Member||Year Appointed||Term Expires|
Currently, we do not have any vacancies on the Board of Health.
If you want to find out more, or apply to become a Board of Health member, go to the Form Center and apply.
To Contact Board Members:
Please email or mail to: Health@amherstma.gov, Phone: 413-259-3077, 70 Boltwood Walk, Amherst, MA 01002
Board of Health Meetings
The Board of Health meetings are held monthly, most meetings are the second Thursday of the month at 5:30 pm via zoom. Meetings are subject to change, please confirm below for any date changes, or call the Amherst Health Department at 413-259-3077.
2023 SCHEDULE OF MEETINGS:
January 12, 2023
February 9, 2023
March 9, 2023
April 13, 2023
May 11, 2023
June 8, 2023
July 13, 2023
August 10, 2023
September 14, 2023
October 12, 2023
November 9, 2023
December 14, 2023
All meetings are at 5:30 pm via zoom (until further notice). Meetings and zoom links are posted on the Event Calendar on the Town of Amherst website, as well as posted with the Amherst Town Clerk.
- Amherst Health Department
- Massachusetts Association of Health Boards (MAHB)
- Massachusetts Health Officers Association (MHOA)
- State Sanitary Code (Follow link to Downloads => 105 CMR 410: Minimum Standards of Fitness for Human Habitation)
- Massachusetts Food Code (Follow link to Retail Food => 2013 Food Code Merged with 105 CMR 590.001)
- Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH)
- Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (DEP)