Marijuana - Recreational & Medical
Amherst is committed to a safe and deliberate implementation of the recreational marijuana law that both protects the health and safety of Amherst residents and respects the 74% of Amherst voters who approved the ballot question. 65% of Amherst residents are below the age of 25, and over 30% are under the age of 20. Amherst’s population is in constant flux, with nearly 5,000 new undergraduate college students arriving at UMass, Amherst College, and Hampshire College each year.
Recreational Marijuana Information
- NEW: Licensing & Permitting Status and Inquiry Summary of Amherst Recreational Applicants (September 30, 2019)
- Public comments on proposed amendments to recreational/adult-use marijuana regulations (August 14, 2019)
- Guidance for Recreational Marijuana Retail Establishments in Amherst (April 23, 2019) Please note that Amherst is not currently accepting submittals for retail establishments. Non-retail establishment submittals are accepted on a rolling basis.
- Town Review Team memo with recommendations to enter into Host Community Agreement negotiations with three Recreational Marijuana Retail establishments.
- Comments on the Cannabis Control Commission Draft Host Community Agreement Guidance (August 6, 2018)
Bylaws for Recreational Marijuana
- General Bylaws
- Limitation on the Number of Recreational Marijuana Establishments
- Consumption of Marijuana or Tetrahydrocannabinol
- Acceptance of 3% Local Option Sales Tax on Recreational Marijuana and Marijuana Products
- Zoning Bylaws
- Land Use Classification and Standards & Conditions (3.363)
- Definitions (12.32 - 12.46)
The Amherst Select Board has issued letters of support for five medical marijuana dispensaries in town. Four applicants have received their preliminary certificate of registration from the state Department of Health and three have received conditional Special Permits from the Amherst Zoning Board of Appeals.
Medical Marijuana Information
- (September 17, 2019)
Bylaws for Medical Marijuana
- Zoning Bylaws
- Land Use Classification and Standards & Conditions (3.363.0 and 3.363.1)
- Definitions (12.32 and 12.33)