- Department of Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Department of Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT
The Town of Amherst embraces and is strengthened by the unique and dynamic backgrounds of its community members. The Town believes in fostering and maintaining a safe and welcoming community, which is based on mutual respect for our residents, students, employees, businesses, and guests. The Town of Amherst will implement its commitment through its:
- Dedication to education and programming that reflects the unique diversity of our community, elevating the cultural awareness of all who live, work, and visit the Town.
- Commitment to provide inclusive and equitable access to all Town activities, facilities, programs, and resources.
- Commitment to and accountability for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in our government.
- Maintenance of partnerships and positive relationships with all members of Amherst and its surrounding communities.
- Recognition of all aspects of human differences including, but not limited to: Race, color, ethnicity, language, immigration status, gender, gender identity, sexual preference or expression, age, ability, religion, and criminal history - all contributing to the richness of our community while empowering our community members.
The Town of Amherst stands and works for these values because it fosters a safer, more welcoming environment and better quality of life for members of the Amherst community.
In 2020, the Town of Amherst became a member of the Government Alliance on Race and Equity (GARE), a national network of governments working to achieve racial equity and advance opportunities for all.
A group of Amherst employees formed a Core Equity Team in 2020 as well.
Core Equity Team Mission: The Town of Amherst Core Equity Team’s goal is to create an inclusive government that empowers our employees, elected officials and board and committee members to help residents, businesses, students, and guests feel safe, welcomed, and included in Amherst.
The Core Equity Team is committed to educating Town staff on the importance of racial equity, inclusion, diversity, and social justice. Our Mission will be realized through updating Town policies, procedures, guidelines, and diversification of our workforce. We will seek to extend this work to include members of boards, committees and elected officials.
Questions? Contact the staff members listed on the top right of this page under "Contact Us"
Cuppa' Joe w/ Paul & Office of Diversity, Equity, and InclusionJoin Amherst Town Manager Paul Bockelman and the Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (DEI) Director Pamela Nolan Young and Assistant Director Jennifer Moyston for an informal conversation around the initiatives of the Office of DEI and other topics. Bring your Read on...
3rd Annual Juneteenth Jubilee on the Common!Save the Date: Celebrate Juneteenth Amherst! On Monday, June 19, 2023 at 12:00 pm The Town of Amherst celebrates its 3rd Annual Juneteenth Jubilee on the Common: Our Voices. Our History. Our Vision. Our Stories. Read on...
Call for Artists! 'Making it Public' Grant Deadline Extended to June 1stAMHERST LOCAL NONPROFITS TEAM UP TO CELEBRATE BIPOC EXPERIENCE IN $10K GRANT FOR KENDRICK PARK ART INSTALLATION AMHERST, MA The Amherst Public Art Commission (APAC), in partnership with the Amherst Business Improvement District ((Amherst BID), and the Read on...
Fort River Farm Community Garden Registration is Open!The Fort River Community Garden in Amherst is currently accepting applications for garden plots this season. This garden has raised beds for beginning gardeners and 10x10 ft in-ground plots for others who want to work in the land. It offers all Read on...
TOWN MANAGER SEEKS VOLUNTEERS TO SERVE ON TOWN BOARDS AND COMMITTEESTown Manager Paul Bockelman seeks volunteers to serve on Town Boards and Committees. The Town has over 30 boards and committees that support the work of the Town government and each has multiple residents who are members. Read on...