Christopher A. Tarr Old North Fire Station 24 Pine Street
The need for a North Amherst Fire Station dates from the late 1840s, when discussions first began concerning the need for a volunteer village fire company specifically for North Amherst. In 1861, the private Scott Hook and Ladder Company #2 was formed in North Amherst, but received no equipment from the Town. By 1864, the company had acquired 1 fire hook and 3 ladders, but little else. By 1887, the company had disbanded and fire safety equipment in North Amherst consisted of a single fire extinguisher kept at the post office. In 1891, it was once again suggested that a volunteer fire company for North Amherst be created, and given the use of “the old hand wagon” (a wagon with water tank and hand pump operation).
The small, woodframe North Amherst Fire Station building was built on Pine Street in 1902, following the formation of the North Amherst Hose Company #3 in August 1901. The building served North Amherst Village for many years, housing a 1932 Maxim fire engine for much of that time. In 1973-75 the new North Station was built on East Pleasant Street, after which the old fire house served as only for storage and began to deteriorate. In 2001, the Town put the building out to private bid and included conditions for its historic preservation. In 2002, Christopher Tarr successfully purchased the building and began its careful restoration and conversion into a private home. The work was completed in 2004. This FY 04 Preservation Award of Merit honors Mr. Tarr’s preservation of this historic public building.
Amherst College Trustees South College and North College (residence halls)
South and North Colleges sit on the west side of the Amherst College “Quadrangle” and date from 1821 and 1823, respectively. They are the college’s oldest and most original buildings. South College is the oldest building on campus; having been built with help from townsfolk before Amherst College even had a charter. North College was built two years later to mirror South College. They flank the historic (1827) Johnson Chapel and comprise part of the old “College Row.” As part of a campus-wide improvement plan, these historic residence halls were renovated and restored in 2003-04, preserving an important part of the college’s historic fabric.
This FY 04 Preservation Award of Merit recognizes Amherst College’s continuing stewardship role in maintaining important elements of Amherst’s architectural and educational history.
Florence Savings Bank & Cumberland Farms South East Street
(East Village Common extension)
Few Amherst residents realize that East Amherst Village is Amherst’s oldest and original village center, or that the East Village Common-a wide section in the ancient (1703) highway layout of the East Street-continues south of the visible ‘park’ section of the Common for many hundreds of feet, including some distance south of the College Street (Rte. 9) intersection. This FY 04 Preservation Award of Merit is issued jointly (and belatedly) to the Florence Savings Bank and Cumberland Farms, in recognition of their notable private landscape improvements on properties flanking both sides of South East Street south of College Street. These landscape improvements help to re-establish and reinforce the character of the ancient common and significantly improve the appearance of this historic village center.