The Town Manager is seeking volunteers to serve on numerous Town Boards. Boards and Committees that have or may have vacancies include the Cultural Council, Agricultural Commission, Community Development Block Grant Advisory Committee, Community Preservation Act Committee, LSSE Commission, Munson Memorial Building Trustees, Board of Registrars, and the Transportation Advisory Committee.
Here is a little about each of these committees.
- Cultural Council: The Cultural Council allocates state Arts Lottery funds and works to support and nurture arts activities in the community by seeking private or other public funds and initiatives.
- Agricultural Commission: The Agricultural Commission supports commercial agriculture and other farming activities in the Town by promoting agricultural-based economic opportunities; acting as mediators, advocates, educators, and/or negotiators on farming issues; working for the preservation of agricultural lands; pursuing all initiatives appropriate to creating a sustainable agricultural community; and reviewing and advising on development proposed in farmland areas, as may be permitted under zoning and other development regulations.
- Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Advisory Committee: The CDBG Committee makes recommendations to the Town Manager regarding the Town’s CDBG program that includes both social service and non-social service community development activities. CDBG funds are awarded to projects, programs, and services that improve the lives of Amherst’s low- and moderate-income residents and/or increase the accessibility for individuals with disabilities.
- Community Preservation Act (CPA) Committee: The CPA Committee studies the needs and resources of the Town regarding community preservation; makes recommendations to the Town Council annually for the acquisition, creation and preservation of open space, for the acquisition and preservation of historic resources, for the acquisition, creation and preservation of land for recreational use, for the creation, preservation and support of community housing and for rehabilitation or restoration of such open space, historic resources, land for recreational use and community housing that is acquired or created as provided in the Community Preservation Act.
- Munson Memorial Building Trustees: The Munson Memorial Building Trustees oversee the general use of the Munson Memorial Library building and act as the community representative for the town with respect to the building. The Trustees plant and tend the garden and take care of the shrubbery.
- LSSE Commission: The LSSE Commission – which is Amherst’s version of a recreation department - assists the LSSE Department by advising on recreational facilities and a variety of leisure and recreational programs and supplemental education classes. The Commission develops policies, rules and regulations governing the operation of the facilities and the delivery of LSSE programs. The Commission also advises on public playgrounds, parks, and athletic facilities.
- Board of Registrars: Massachusetts General Laws requires that every city and town have a Board of Registrars consisting of the city or town clerk and 3 other persons. The Board provides general oversight of Town elections.
- Transportation Advisory Committee (TAC): TAC is advisory committee to the Town Manager and the Select Board on all transportation matters. The TAC seeks address all transportation matters in a comprehensive and holistic manner. The TAC provides advice on current and proposed transportation regulations, policies, initiatives, and improvement projects.
The Town Manager seeks residents who have relevant expertise or experience. The Town Manager is especially seeking individuals of diverse backgrounds to serve on all boards, committees, and commissions. If you are interested in volunteering to serve, please fill out a Community Activity Form at: www.amherstma.gov/caf
If you have questions, reach out to our Community Participation Officers at email@example.com or visit their page, www.amherstma.gov/getinvolved
*Posted on August 13, 2019, Amherst Home Rule Charter Section 9.12 (e) Uniform Procedures Applicable to Multiple Member Bodies: Vacancies*