The Town Manager continues to seek volunteers to serve on Town Boards. Boards and Committees that have or may have vacancies include the Agricultural Commission, Community Preservation Act Committee, Cultural Council, Disability Access Advisory Committee,
The Town Manager continues to seek volunteers to serve on Town Boards. Boards and Committees that have or may have vacancies include the Agricultural Commission, Community Preservation Act Committee, Cultural Council, Disability Access Advisory Committee, LSSE Commission, Munson Memorial Building Trustees, Participatory Budgeting Commission, Public Art Commission, and the Transportation Advisory Committee.
A current list of vacancies can be found here. A complete list of all boards and committees can be found here.
Here is a little about each of some of the committees:
- Agricultural Commission: The Agricultural Commission supports commercial agriculture and other farming activities in the Town by promoting agricultural-based economic opportunities; acting as mediators, advocates, educators, and/or negotiators on farming issues; working for the preservation of agricultural lands; pursuing all initiatives appropriate to creating a sustainable agricultural community; and reviewing and advising on development proposed in farmland areas, as may be permitted under zoning and other development regulations. We are looking for active farmers for this Commission.
- Community Preservation Act (CPA) Committee: The CPA Committee studies the needs and resources of the Town regarding community preservation; makes recommendations to the Town Council annually for the acquisition, creation and preservation of open space, for the acquisition and preservation of historic resources, for the acquisition, creation and preservation of land for recreational use, for the creation, preservation and support of community housing and for rehabilitation or restoration of such open space, historic resources, land for recreational use and community housing that is acquired or created as provided in the Community Preservation Act.
- Cultural Council: The Cultural Council allocates state Arts Lottery funds and works to support and nurture arts activities in the community by seeking private or other public funds and initiatives.
- Disability Access Advisory Committee: The goals of the Disability Access Advisory Committee are to serve as an advisory committee on issues of physical, programmatic, and employment accessibility, and ensure equal access for people with disabilities.
- LSSE Commission: The LSSE Commission – which is Amherst’s version of a recreation department - assists the LSSE Department by advising on recreational facilities and a variety of leisure and recreational programs and supplemental education classes. The Commission develops policies, rules and regulations governing the operation of the facilities and the delivery of LSSE programs. The Commission also advises on public playgrounds, parks, and athletic facilities.
- Munson Memorial Building Trustees: The Munson Memorial Building Trustees oversee the general use of the Munson Memorial Library building and act as the community representative for the town with respect to the building. The Trustees plant and tend the garden and take care of the shrubbery.
- Participatory Budgeting Commission: The Town Charter also calls for the creation of a Participatory Budgeting Commission to propose a measure to adopt participatory budgeting or other similar method of resident participation in the budgeting process in Amherst. Two residents have been appointed by the Town Council and three residents shall be appointed by the Town Manager. There is one opening available. The Commission shall propose a measure to the Town Council by September 1, 2020. The Town is seeking individuals of diverse backgrounds to serve on this commission.
- Public Art Commission: The Public Art Commission fosters a greater community awareness of the interaction with public art, and through public art, promotes cultural diversity and an improved quality of life for Amherst's residents.
- Transportation Advisory Committee (TAC): TAC is advisory committee to the Town Manager and the Select Board on all transportation matters. The TAC seeks address all transportation matters in a comprehensive and holistic manner. The TAC provides advice on current and proposed transportation regulations, policies, initiatives, and improvement projects.
The Town Manager seeks residents who have relevant expertise or experience. The Town Manager is especially seeking individuals of diverse backgrounds to serve on all boards, committees, and commissions.
If you are interested in volunteering to serve, please fill out a Community Activity Form here. If you have questions, you can reach out to our Community Participation Officers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This notice fulfills the Town bulletin board requirement Charter Section 9. 12 (e).
The reference cited above is from the Amherst Home Rule Charter.