Curbside pick-up of bagged leaves, using the Town-approved, 30-gallon paper biodegradable bag, will begin Monday, November 4, 2019. There is no curbside collection of loose leaves. Loose leaves may be brought to the Transfer Station if you have a current sticker. If you do not have a sticker you may purchase one for $100 (residential sticker), $125 (contractor/business sticker) at the Transfer Station, Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday 8:00AM – 2:00PM they accept cash or check.
Place bagged leaves at the curb by 7:00AM. on the day your area is scheduled for pickup. Leaf bags will no longer be sold at the DPW or Transfer Station. Bags are available from many retailers, and prices may vary – please check that bags are biodegradable.
The DPW will pick up bagged leaves only and will follow routes designated by areas of town.
- Monday, November 4, 2019: Central Amherst. All streets within the boundaries and including Strong St., No. Pleasant, College St., and North East St. (from Main to Strong), Arbor Way, Butterfield Terrace, Canton Ave., Chestnut, Churchill, Clifton Ave., College, Cottage, Dickinson, Eames Ave., East St. Common, East Pleasant (from Strong St. to North Pleasant St.), Gray, Grove, Harvard Ave., Hedgerow, High, Hills Rd., Kellogg Ave., Lessey, Main St. (to the bridge at Fort River), Maplewood Cir., Maplewood Dr., Mt. Pleasant, Newell Court, North Whitney, Pleasant Court, Pokeberry Ridge, Red Gate Lane, Salem, Seelye, Shumway, Smith, South Whitney, Spring, Strong, Taylor, Triangle, Tyler Place, Wildwood Lane, and Windridge Terrace.
- Tuesday, November 5, 2019: East & West Amherst. The WEST area of Town includes: Amity Street, Lincoln Ave. and all streets in between the boundary of Massachusetts Ave and Northampton Rd. (Allen, Beston, Blue Hills Rd., Cosby, Cowls Lane, Dana Pl., Dana St., Elm, Fearing, Gaylord, Hallock, Kendrick, McClellan, McClure, Nutting Ave, Paige, Phillips, North & South Prospect, Sunset.) The EAST area of Town includes: Amherst Woods and Echo Hill Developments and Belchertown Rd. east of Gatehouse Rd, Cortland Dr., Old Belchertown Rd., Old Farms Rd., Harkness Rd. (west side from Stony Hill to Route 9), Heatherstone, Iduna Lane, and Logtown Rd.
- Wednesday, November 6, 2019: South Amherst. All streets proceeding from Northampton Rd. (south), Bay Rd, Belchertown Rd. (west of Gatehouse Rd.), Carriage Rd., Columbia Dr., East Hadley Rd., Farmington Rd., Glendale Rd., Hulst Rd., Longmeadow Dr., Middle St., Mill Lane, Mount Holyoke Dr., Orchard Dr., Pelham Rd. (to Town Line), Pomeroy Lane, Pondview Dr., Potwine Lane, Shays St., South Pleasant St., Stanley St., Station Rd. (west of Iduna Lane), West Street to Bay Rd., West Bay Rd., and West Pomeroy Lane.
- Thursday, November 7, 2019: North Amherst. All streets proceeding from North Pleasant Street (north of the UMass Campus), East Pleasant St. (north of Strong St.), Berkshire Terrace, Blackberry Lane, Bridge St., Cherry Lane, Cowls Rd., East Leverett Rd., Fairfield St., Flat Hills Rd., Grantwood Dr., Harlow Dr., Henry St., Hitching Post, Leverett Rd., Market Hill Rd., Meadow St., Montague Rd., North East St. (north from Strong St.), Pine St., Pulpit Hill Rd., Rolling Ridge, Sand Hill Rd., Sheerman Lane, State St., Sunderland Rd., Shutesbury Rd., and Van Meter.
- Friday, November 8, 2019: This day is reserved as a make-up day. If for any reason (such as inclement weather) the DPW trucks are unable to complete the bagged leaves pickup in scheduled areas, trucks will return to the missed area on this day.
Weather permitting; the same routes will be used for a second collection during the week of December 2, 2019. Place leaves, bagged in a 30-gallon paper biodegradable bag, at the curb by 7:00AM for collection on the following dates:
- Monday, December 2, 2019, in Central Amherst
- Tuesday, December 3, 2019, in; East & West Amherst
- Wednesday, December 4, 2019, in South Amherst
- Thursday, December 5, 2019, in North Amherst
- Friday, December 6, 2019, will be a make-up day.
If DPW trucks finish early in one area they will proceed to the next area designated for collection.
Questions? Contact DPW at (413) 259-3050 or email firstname.lastname@example.org