Census Day, April 1st, is fast approaching. The US Census Bureau will begin mailing invitations to households in March so please look out in your mailbox for this. The self-response period will start on March 12, online, by phone or by mail in form. All households will receive a letter inviting households to respond online.
Every 10 years, as mandated by the U.S. Constitution, the federal government undertakes a census of the U.S. population to determine the allocation of seats held by each state in the House of Representatives. An accurate census count is also vital to obtain federal funding for projects in Amherst and the region.
- Everyone counts, Amherst is the 9th hardest to count City/Town in Massachusetts;
- It’s about Fair Representation; Massachusetts lost a Congressional seat based off of the 2010 count.
- It’s in the Constitution;
- Your data are confidential;
- It’s about redistricting;
- It means $675 billion in federal funding, $16 billion for Massachusetts or $2,372 per person per year.
Click here for Census Assistance and Computer Access locations in Amherst
About the Census Form
The Census form has 10 questions and takes about 10 minutes to complete. There will not be a question about citizenship on the form.
For more information & resources please visit us at www.amherstma.gov/census or www.2020census.gov
Questions? | Please contact Brianna Sunryd firstname.lastname@example.org