The Town Manager has established the Jones Library Building Committee (JLBC) to oversee the design and construction of the Jones Library Restoration and Expansion.
The JLBC will guide the Jones Library Restoration and Expansion project. All major decisions shall be brought to the JLBC for review, approval, and formal submission to the Library Board of Trustees and Town Manager for final approval, as required.
Throughout the life of the project, the JLBC will work as a team with several consultants, including an Owner’s Project Manager (OPM), an Architect, and Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioner (MBLC) Building Specialists. The JLBC will develop a timeline, milestones, and plans for the project and recommend a specific set of plans to the Library Board of Trustees and Town Manager for approval.
The JLBC will work with the Library Director and Town Manager to ensure the public is kept informed and engaged with the Jones Library Restoration and Expansion project.
Members of the Committee will be expected to:
- Understand the MBLC grant program requirements.
- Learn the history and background of the Jones Library Restoration and Expansion project.
- Identify a wide variety of stakeholders in order to develop and execute multiple communication methods to engage members of the community throughout the entire design and construction process.
- Form subcommittees at various stages of the project such as:
- Design – visits the job site, attends job site meetings, and monitors the schedule
- Interior Design – chooses styles, colors, and furnishings
- Landscaping – chooses plantings and outdoor structures
- Public Relations – keeps the community informed
- Groundbreaking/Grand Opening – organizes community celebrations
- Review, evaluate, and approve all project invoices and change orders.
- Monitor the MBLC grant application and award process, including tracking progress towards meeting milestones and securing grant payments.
- Support the closeout process with the MBLC to make sure the building is constructed in accordance with the approved design.
The nine-member committee will include members or representatives of the Library Board of Trustees, Town Council, Library Director, Town Manager, the Town’s Finance Director, a Library Building Maintenance official, and two members of the public including:
- A resident with experience in energy efficient public architecture, engineering, or construction
- A resident with experience in effective community outreach
More information on the Jones Library and this Building Project can be found here: https://www.joneslibrary.org/352/Jones-Building-Project
If you are interested in volunteering to serve, please fill out a Community Activity Form at: https://www.amherstma.gov/caf
If you have questions, reach out to our Community Participation Officers at GetInvolved@AmherstMA.gov
Posted on Monday, July 12th at 3:15 PM