The Town of Amherst is sharing some tips and reminders to the Amherst Community for a safe and healthy Halloween. Historically, the Town has not set an official date and time for Halloween trick-or-treating - allowing community members and neighborhoods to use their discretion when organizing. The Town of Amherst Recreation Department will also be hosting a Halloween Car Parade on Saturday, October 30th at 3 PM. Registration and more information on this event is linked below. Please see below for some practical tips to have a fun and safe Halloween while avoiding injuries and working to prevent the transmission of COVID-19.
COVID-19 Safety Tips:
- Get vaccinated if eligible, visit www.amherstcovid19.org/vaccine
- Keep activities outdoors.
- Wear masks and encourage your children to wear masks underneath their Halloween masks when social distancing cannot be maintained. This will protect your children without getting in the way of their costumes.
- Wash hands regularly and use hand sanitizers as much as possible.
- Consider individually wrapped goodie bags that are lined up so children can grab-and-go, while continuing to social distance.
- Consume food and treats outdoors.
General Safety Tips:
- Carry glowsticks or flashlights to be visible. Wearing reflective outerwear can also be helpful if out after dark.
- Wear a mask that allows you to see and a costume that doesn’t create a tripping hazard.
- If driving, stay alert for children and others in the streets.
- To prevent choking, don’t allow children under five to have hard candies.
- Ensure that all candies are wrapped and packaging intact.
Trick-or-Treat My Ride Halloween Car Parade on Sunday, October 31st at 3 PM, FREE but registration required. Please click here for more details.