Date: August 1, 2022
Contact: Steve Telega, Solid Waste/Recycling Supervisor, 413-259-3049
For immediate release
Annual Household Hazardous Waste Collection September 24, 2022
Amherst’s annual public household hazardous waste collection is scheduled for Saturday, September 24 2022 at Fort River Elementary School (70 South East Street, Amherst). All Amherst, Pelham, Shutesbury and Hadley residents may participate. Advance registration prior to September 13 is required. Participation is limited; people are encouraged to register early to ensure an appointment time.
Pre-register on-line by visiting www.amherstma.gov/recycling. For those without computer access, paper registration forms will be available at the Amherst Transfer Station. Registrants will receive an assigned appointment window between 9am and 12pm a few days prior to the event.
Other important information:
- Participants with small quantities of material are encouraged to team up with friends and neighbors to reduce traffic at the event.
- Hadley and Shutesbury residents will be responsible for covering the cost of their own hazardous waste at the price of $25 (for quantities up to 3 gallons or pounds), $40 (More than 3 and up to 10 gallons/pounds) or $60 (for 25 gallons/pounds). Cash and checks only
- A $20 participation fee will be charged to Amherst residents who do not own a current Transfer Station Sticker. Disposal fees will apply for participants with more than the 25 gallon/pound household threshold.
- Small businesses and institutions may participate by advance arrangement. Fees will apply.
- Fees will apply for fluorescent bulbs ($1/bulb). Cash and checks only.
- Latex paint will not be accepted
- For additional details about the event visit www.amherstma.gov/recycling.
----- end -----