(September 24, 2010) Today the Amherst Select Board and John Musante signed the employment agreement which finalizes his appointment as Town Manager, effective October 1st.
“We are thrilled to have created an agreement that’s good for John and good for the Town,” said Select Board Chair Stephanie O’Keeffe. “He and the Select Board were extremely mindful of the need for a contract that is responsible in these difficult fiscal times, and that provides reasonable compensation and protection for John as he takes on this difficult job. We feel good about this contract.”
The agreement specifies:
• Salary of $127, 528: This is the same as the current salary of retiring Town Manager Larry Shaffer.
• One-time compensation of $10,000: This recognizes that Mr. Musante will continue to fill the role of Finance Director for the next few months until a new person is hired for that position. This is comparable to the $10,000 he received as additional compensation when appointed to the Interim Town Manager position for three months in 2006, when he similarly handled both jobs.
• A Three-Year Term: The term will extend by a year each October 1st, unless the Select Board were to specify in writing that it did not want to provide that extension. This “rolling three-year term” balances incentive and accountability with the security of a reasonable time horizon for future planning.
• Vacation: Mr. Musante will maintain his accrued vacation time, and continue to accrue at the rate of 20 days per year. He is encouraged to use that time, but may carry it over from year to year without limit.
• Professional Development: The Town will cover Mr. Musante’s participation in a State and Local Government program at Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government, and his attendance at appropriate conferences and seminars. The Harvard program is one he has been slated to attend in the past as Assistant Town Manager, but the timing has not yet worked out.
• Long-Term Disability Insurance: Mr. Musante will be reimbursed for purchasing long-term disability insurance, a protection for his family and for the Town.
• Monthly Allowance of $450 for Car and Cell Phone Expenses: This is the same amount currently received by Mr. Shaffer.
“I’m happy to have reached a mutually-acceptable agreement with the Select Board, and I appreciate their faith in me,” Mr. Musante said. “Amherst is a great place, and I am honored to have the opportunity to serve as its Town Manager.”
Mr. Shaffer is retiring on September 30th, after four years in the position. The Select Board appreciates his service to Amherst and wishes him the best in all future endeavors.