In the News Home
The original item was published from 1/28/2011 3:06:00 PM to 1/28/2011 3:06:47 PM.

In the News - News & Announcements

Posted on: January 27, 2011

[ARCHIVED] Residents Needed for Immediate and Upcoming Committee Vacancies

The Select Board and Town Manager encourage civic-minded members of the Amherst community to apply for voluntary service on one of the Town of Amherst’s many committees, boards, or commissions. These volunteer public bodies are the lifeblood of our Town and do an impressive amount of work for our community. Many of these public bodies have extensive material about their work posted on the Town website.

As of January 24, 2011 the public bodies listed below have one or more vacancies.
[appointing authority= (SB: Select Board, TM: Town Manager, M: Town Meeting Moderator)]

Committee on Homelessness (SB)
Finance Committee (M)
Housing Partnership/Fair Housing Committee (SB)
Human Rights Commission: one high school or college student to serve for one (1) academic school year (SB)
Kanegasaki, Japan Sister City Committee (SB)
La Paz Centro, Nicaragua Sister City Committee (SB)
Leisure Services & Supplemental Education Commission (TM)
Nyeri, Kenya Sister City Committee (SB)
Personnel Board (SB)
Planning Board (TM)
Public Art Commission (SB)
Public Transportation & Bicycling Committee (SB)
Recycling & Refuse Management Committee (TM)
Town/Commercial Relations Committee (SB)

In addition to those vacancies, other public bodies that may have vacancies effective July 1, 2011 include:

Amherst Cultural Council (SB)
Audit Committee (SB)
Board of Assessors (TM)
Community Development Committee (SB)
Community Preservation Act Committee (SB)
Council on Aging (TM)
Conservation Commission (TM)
Design Review Board (SB)
Disability Access Advisory Committee (TM)
Hampshire Regional Emergency Planning Committee (SB)
Historical Commission (TM)
Munson Memorial Building Trustees (TM)
Public Shade Tree Committee (SB confirms Conservation Commission nomination)
Registrar of Voters (SB)
Zoning Board of Appeals (SB)

If you have interest in applying to join any of the above, please complete a Citizen Activity Form (CAF) for the committee/board/commission of your choice online at as soon as possible. If you do not have access to a computer at home or in one of the Town libraries, you may stop by the Town Manager/Select Board Office on the Mezzanine Floor at Town Hall, 4 Boltwood Avenue, or you may call that office at 413-259-3001 to request the CAF be mailed to you. Town offices are generally open to the public Monday - Friday 8 am - 4:30 pm, except for Thursday mornings (opening at noon). Please remember that we keep your CAF on file for at least a year, in case any openings occur throughout the year.

Citizen Activity Form
Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in - News & Announcements